Welcome to My Optus Community. Tell us what you think about our products and services, read answers and advice from other Optus customers or Optus staff, ask questions about Optus products – in short, join the conversation and help grow our Optus community forum. The Optus forums are for you, so Join now and be part of the community.
Business customers, join the conversation on our Business forum.

New Contributor
lwalker18

iOS6 and CELLULAR DATA!

Hi all

I have an iphone 4.

Ever since I upgraded to ios6, my iphone no longer connects to my WiFi and insteads downloads everything via 3g.

This has lead to me downloading over 1gig in 1 week, and 600mb in the day after until I disabled celluar data. I am too afraid to turn it back on.

This caused me to exceed my data usage, however, Zoey from optus thankfully credited me the excess.

This is an issue and can be viewed by simply doing a google search - alot of people are having these problems.

Is Optus aware of this? Are they able to provide leeway to others affected? It causes people to unknowingly and uniwttingly download files over 3g without their knowledge. All of these downloads have been at 4am for me!!

Anyone else experiencing this?

Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
Salfield

Re: iOS6 and CELLULAR DATA!

I remember reaading something yesterday which were fixes for Battery Drain and Excessive Data usage.  From memory the data usage relates to iCloud syncing with safari. If you have that activated they recommend turning it off.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
lwalker18

Hi There

Thanks for the reply.

I do not use iCloud and it was turned off.

I also made sure nothing was set to auto update over cellular when I upgraded.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
ocorb

Yes the same thing is happening to me since I upgraded to an Iphone 5 plan. MyAccount is showing excess data usage of up to 9GB! (my records show that I have stayed within 1.5-2GB within my plan in the past). I download all my podcasts etc over home wireless and never over 3G away from home. On top of this, I downloaded the MyOptus app before the iOS6 warning came out so have been receiving inaccurate usage information until I checked MyAccount online last night. 

I googled the issue and see that in the US, Apple has issued an iOS software update to its Verizon customers who were experienced the exact same problem. If you go to the Telstra forums you can see a growing number of customers with the same issue also. Looks like we are stuck in this too. 

Optus suggested that I turn off cellular 3G when at home so that there is no chance of conflict with it being prioritised over wireless however I do not trust this either - given the potential for large charges, I have turned off both 3G and wireless so effectively my "smart" phone is just a phone now.  Something needs to be done and quick. Not happy as Optus and Apple seem to be passing the buck to and from each other and we are stuck in the middle.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
mattSmith

[ Edited ]

I had the same issue. I'm in South Africa. Started downloading podcasts on wifi, and went to bed. New podcast app seems to be buggy. Switched itself onto 3G and downloaded 8GB overnight (despite the 5 files I wanted to download being less than 400MB total). Carrier is charging me US $1000 for data usage. Won't budge, saying I should complain to Apple...

Please use plain text.
Suzeme

Same with me, have turned off cellular data and am waiting nervously for my next bill. I've never used more than 300mb a month in the 2 1/2 years i've had an iphone but in nine days of having the new iphone 5 i've used 955mb and my iphone 4 was running iOS 6 as well so who knows how much that used. Optus said they couldn't help until the bill was processed.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
my_ernie

I have the same issue since upgrading from iphone 3 to iphone4 and upgraded plan from $20 to $30 with 200Mb data limit. My bill had been around $30 per month over last two years and now received a bill for $358 for excessive data usage. and Optus could not explain why and offer any suggestion.
Please use plain text.
ipfresco

I believe the answer to this is to turn off 3G when you are at your wireless network. From different posts I've looked at it seems that the iphone will default to the 3G cell when it's in sleep mode (which is most of the time) and thus uses tons of data even when your wifi network is available.

Please use plain text.
Bernard

Usage doubled As soon as I upgraded to the iPhone 5. The myusage page shows that as soon as my plan changed on the day i upgraded, my daily GPRS costs/usage goes into the $5 to $10 mark. Historically I would spend about $.30 to $2 per day. Have dloaded a GPRS usage app which separates wifi from GPRS and will hopefully use this to mount a complaint next bill.
Please use plain text.
Ruan

Hi Matt I’m sitting with the same problem here in Pretoria. They send me a bill for R11000.00 this month. How did you resolve your issue ??

Please use plain text.