• Broadband, Telephony & TV
  • Broadband & Telephony
anitawg
New Contributor New Contributor
Member since 6th Jun 2012
2 Posts

DNS server not responding error

Hi,

Over the past three nights I've had problems connecting to the internet with my wireless cable broadband modem. The troubleshoot wizard on Windows 7 detects the error as "DNS server nor responding" and I have tried all the solutions discussed on Optus support page with no success. However, the connection problem resolves itself spontaneously after an hour or so.

Does anyone know how this problem can be fixed permanently?  I've been using this new wifi modem for the past few months with no problems. It is annoying not to be able to connect to the internet at the times I need to.

Thanks,

Anita

David
Occasional Contributor Occasional Contributor
Member since 19th Jan 2012
16 Posts

Re: DNS server not responding error

Do you know what DNS address is currently set on your modem and desktop?

"Automatically Detect Settings" should be fine as this will get the data from the Optus network...

If you already have auto detect selected you could try using another DNS server

When I want to test I will usually set the Google DNS (primary: 8.8.8.8 - secondary: 8.8.4.4)

Dave
anitawg
Member since 6th Jun 2012
2 Posts

Thanks for your advice David.

At the moment the "auto detect" option is checked and I have tried alternative DNS addresses I've found on the internet, but it hasn't worked. However, I'm only typing in these addresses into the Internet connection "Properties > Network" tab. Are there any other settings I need to change for the preferred DNS addresses to work?

Anita
AnnieK
Member since 21st Nov 2012
2 Posts

Hi, I'm a newbie to the forum and I thank you in advance for any  help.  Only just discovered the forum and am thrilled to have somewhere to ask for help.   

It is driving me nuts.   So far visits to Optus offices and online service has not helped.   

My pre-paid Optus mobile broadband will work just fine for several weeks/or a couple of weeks (it varies ... the problems have been ongoing for the past nearly two years since I bought the device)  then we return to SLOW, SLOW, SLOW connection and the message "DNS server not responding" error message repeated over and over again.  Sometimes it sorts itself out after a while, though slow connection continues.  One solution that sometimes works is to disconnect and reconnect but that also resets my usage so I'm negatively impacted, especially if I do this several times.  

The signal is mostly very good during these "DNS dropouts".  General response, including from Optus, is that service from my area is not good and I should swap to Telstra.  No, Optus did not suggest the latter!  If this was true, why do I have full capacity signal strength and still not be able to connect due to the DNS not responding.  Seems to me the two are separate though I might be wrong.    

What do I do to fix this?  My DNS settings appear to instruct Optus to choose the DNS.  Should I manually change this?  

Ryan
Moderator Moderator
Member since 11th Jan 2012
1,952 Posts

AnnieK wrote:

Hi, I'm a newbie to the forum and I thank you in advance for any  help.  Only just discovered the forum and am thrilled to have somewhere to ask for help.   

It is driving me nuts.   So far visits to Optus offices and online service has not helped.   

My pre-paid Optus mobile broadband will work just fine for several weeks/or a couple of weeks (it varies ... the problems have been ongoing for the past nearly two years since I bought the device)  then we return to SLOW, SLOW, SLOW connection and the message "DNS server not responding" error message repeated over and over again.  Sometimes it sorts itself out after a while, though slow connection continues.  One solution that sometimes works is to disconnect and reconnect but that also resets my usage so I'm negatively impacted, especially if I do this several times.  

The signal is mostly very good during these "DNS dropouts".  General response, including from Optus, is that service from my area is not good and I should swap to Telstra.  No, Optus did not suggest the latter!  If this was true, why do I have full capacity signal strength and still not be able to connect due to the DNS not responding.  Seems to me the two are separate though I might be wrong.    

What do I do to fix this?  My DNS settings appear to instruct Optus to choose the DNS.  Should I manually change this?  

Hey AnnieK - first of all, welcome aboard our Community :smileyhappy: In regards to your speed/ connection issues that you've pointed out. Are you noticing any patterns when this error seems to appear, such as certain times in the day, is it location specific (are you able to test the connection at a different location). There's a chance that your connection could be experiencing some possible congestion issues which would explain why your seeing good signal however having issues loading any pages.

We can definitely take a look over the coverage in your area to see if this is in fact the case or whether there are any other potential issues that could explain your symptoms. Can I ask you to shoot your details via this link & one of the team will be in touch! :smileyhappy:

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

tapmemp
Visitor Visitor
Member since 27th Nov 2012
1 Post

Good afternoon All.

The dreaded DNS error is likewise driving me crazy. I have a Cisco DPQ3925-X wireless modem connected to Optus Cable in which the wireless radio works fine (tested by substitution with another router).

However the DNS error detected by Windows 7 continues to delay access to the Internet. Using any browser, any site needs refreshing perhaps 4-6 times before the site responds. I have an ADSL2+ link for business which responds perfectly (and at similar speeds to the cable).

Between Optus Technical Service and myself we have reset the modem, reconfigured the user details from the Optus end and tried substituting DNS servers. All to no avail. I am running one PC with Windows 8 which connects every time.

I cannot see any difference between the Network Connection Details of either the Windows 7 or 8 Network Sharing Centres.

http://speedtest.syd.optusnet.com.au/ gives me 19Mb down, 0.49Mb up.

Any thoughts anyone please?

Ryan
Moderator Moderator
Member since 11th Jan 2012
1,952 Posts

tapmemp wrote:

Good afternoon All.

The dreaded DNS error is likewise driving me crazy. I have a Cisco DPQ3925-X wireless modem connected to Optus Cable in which the wireless radio works fine (tested by substitution with another router).

However the DNS error detected by Windows 7 continues to delay access to the Internet. Using any browser, any site needs refreshing perhaps 4-6 times before the site responds. I have an ADSL2+ link for business which responds perfectly (and at similar speeds to the cable).

Between Optus Technical Service and myself we have reset the modem, reconfigured the user details from the Optus end and tried substituting DNS servers. All to no avail. I am running one PC with Windows 8 which connects every time.

I cannot see any difference between the Network Connection Details of either the Windows 7 or 8 Network Sharing Centres.

http://speedtest.syd.optusnet.com.au/ gives me 19Mb down, 0.49Mb up.

Any thoughts anyone please?

Hey tapmemp - from what you describe, it seems the issue is isolated to the Win7 computer only & not on the network itself as you're able to test the connection is working fine on the other computer running Win8. Have you checked to see what else is running in the background of the computer that may be affecting your connection?

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

Did You Know?

You can SMS ‘menu’ to 9999 to find out your account balance, due date, notify us of a recent payment, request a payment extension + lots more! There’s lots of options for Pre-Paid customers too ;) It’s super easy to use

Users Online
Currently online: 4 members   |   117 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: