• Broadband & Telephony
angela
New Contributor New Contributor
Member since 15th Mar 2012
3 Posts
Accepted Solution

sending email with wifi

Hi,

I'm using a mail.optusnet.com.au email account with a Mac computer. I'm overseas at the moment and using the wifi where I'm staying. I can receive emails OK but I'm unable to send them. I have tried different settings and I'm getting nowhere.

My outgoing mail server (SMTP) is currently set on default ports 25, 465, 587.

There are options to use a custom port and authentication but I'm not sure what to try.

Any suggestions please? Thanks

Angela

Ian
Moderator Moderator
Member since 19th Dec 2011
2,346 Posts

Re: sending email with wifi

Hey Angela, try setting authentication on th SMTP server and adding in your Optusnet details. Let me know how that goes :smileyhappy:
angela
3 Posts

Thanks for responding so quickly. It worked for one of my emails (yeah!), but two others seem to be struggling to send...there's no error message, it just appears to keep trying. Any other ideas? Thanks

Ian
Moderator Moderator
2,346 Posts

Are they all Optus accounts? The port numbers you mentioned earlier, are these for each account listed as they should all be port 25 for outgoing email.
Solution
angela
3 Posts

It's working now :-) One of my emails is a work email which I usually open through optus but is actually linked with another account...so I think you're correct in wondering. It's enought o have my home email working for now. Thanks so much, Angela

Ian
Moderator Moderator
2,346 Posts

Glad we could help out :smileyhappy:

PHG
Member since 10th Jun 2012
4 Posts

I am sorry but I am having the same problem - I can receive emails overseas but cannot send them. 

I tried the authentication process you suggested (I think) but to no avail.  I changed to a custom port using only 25.  I tried sending an email and received the message:

The server “mail.optusnet.com.au” refused to allow a connection on port 25.

Select a different outgoing mail server from the list below ...

My account now shows the smtp server as being offline but I am connected to wifi.

Would appreciate assistance.

Ryan
Moderator Moderator
Member since 11th Jan 2012
1,951 Posts

PHG wrote:

I am sorry but I am having the same problem - I can receive emails overseas but cannot send them. 

I tried the authentication process you suggested (I think) but to no avail.  I changed to a custom port using only 25.  I tried sending an email and received the message:

Perhaps try changing the outgoing mail server to the mail server of the Internet Service Provider that you're currently connected to PHG to see if that helps.

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

PHG
Member since 10th Jun 2012
4 Posts

Thanks.  Not able to do that - am using wifi provided in the building for our short stay here.  

Loki
Super Contributor Super Contributor
Member since 22nd Jan 2012
281 Posts

[ Edited ]

Hey PHG!

May i ask how come you can't do that? If your struggling with setting it up I'm more then happy to walk you through it.

If you need further help just send me a PM :smileywink:

Regards,
Loki

Photobucket
Did You Know?

You can SMS ‘menu’ to 9999 to find out your account balance, due date, notify us of a recent payment, request a payment extension + lots more! There’s lots of options for Pre-Paid customers too ;) It’s super easy to use

Users Online
Currently online: 10 members   |   64 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: