Welcome to My Optus Community. Tell us what you think about our products and services, read answers and advice from other Optus customers or Optus staff, ask questions about Optus products – in short, join the conversation and help grow our Optus community forum. The Optus forums are for you, so Join now and be part of the community.
Business customers, join the conversation on our Business forum.

New Contributor
angela
Accepted Solution

sending email with wifi

Hi,

I'm using a mail.optusnet.com.au email account with a Mac computer. I'm overseas at the moment and using the wifi where I'm staying. I can receive emails OK but I'm unable to send them. I have tried different settings and I'm getting nowhere.

My outgoing mail server (SMTP) is currently set on default ports 25, 465, 587.

There are options to use a custom port and authentication but I'm not sure what to try.

Any suggestions please? Thanks

Angela

Please use plain text.
Forums Community Manager
Forums Community Manager
Ian

Re: sending email with wifi

Hey Angela, try setting authentication on th SMTP server and adding in your Optusnet details. Let me know how that goes :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
angela

Thanks for responding so quickly. It worked for one of my emails (yeah!), but two others seem to be struggling to send...there's no error message, it just appears to keep trying. Any other ideas? Thanks

Please use plain text.
Forums Community Manager
Forums Community Manager
Ian

Are they all Optus accounts? The port numbers you mentioned earlier, are these for each account listed as they should all be port 25 for outgoing email.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
angela

It's working now :-) One of my emails is a work email which I usually open through optus but is actually linked with another account...so I think you're correct in wondering. It's enought o have my home email working for now. Thanks so much, Angela

Please use plain text.
Forums Community Manager
Forums Community Manager
Ian

Glad we could help out :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
New Contributor PHG
New Contributor
PHG

I am sorry but I am having the same problem - I can receive emails overseas but cannot send them. 

I tried the authentication process you suggested (I think) but to no avail.  I changed to a custom port using only 25.  I tried sending an email and received the message:

The server “mail.optusnet.com.au” refused to allow a connection on port 25.

Select a different outgoing mail server from the list below ...

My account now shows the smtp server as being offline but I am connected to wifi.

Would appreciate assistance.

Please use plain text.
Ryan

PHG wrote:

I am sorry but I am having the same problem - I can receive emails overseas but cannot send them. 

I tried the authentication process you suggested (I think) but to no avail.  I changed to a custom port using only 25.  I tried sending an email and received the message:

Perhaps try changing the outgoing mail server to the mail server of the Internet Service Provider that you're currently connected to PHG to see if that helps.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor PHG
New Contributor
PHG

Thanks.  Not able to do that - am using wifi provided in the building for our short stay here.  

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
Loki

[ Edited ]

Hey PHG!

May i ask how come you can't do that? If your struggling with setting it up I'm more then happy to walk you through it.

If you need further help just send me a PM :smileywink:

Regards,
Loki

Photobucket
Please use plain text.