Welcome to My Optus Community. Tell us what you think about our products and services, read answers and advice from other Optus customers or Optus staff, ask questions about Optus products – in short, join the conversation and help grow our Optus community forum. The Optus forums are for you, so Join now and be part of the community.
Business customers, join the conversation on our Business forum.

New Contributor
darrendo
Accepted Solution

iMessage and out of credit for that type of message?

Hey, about a week ago my iMessage on my iPhone 3GS seems to have stopped working. Now I get a message from optus saying "An SMS you tried to send or receive has failed as you are out of credit for that message type. Recharge now to allow future SMS messages to be sent or received." I just recharged today, tried activating iMessage and get the same message again. I'm on the $40 unlimited boost plan. Help please. >.<

Darren

Please use plain text.
Dave

Re: iMessage and out of credit for that type of message?

An international SMS is sent via the iPhone to complete registration of iMessage. Can you confirm whether iMessage has been activated correctly?

This page shows that all other plans besides the $40 can have the full value can be used for standard national and international calls & text, internet browsing & international roaming. The Credit portion may also be used for Premium SMS & content, Boost Live content charges, Video Calling, 966 and Satellite calls.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
darrendo

No my iMessage is still waiting for activation. Is there any way that I can activate internation SMS just once so I can activate my iMessage?

Please use plain text.
Forums Community Manager
Forums Community Manager
Ian

Could you send your service info through via this page so we can look at some options for you? :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
linkiepoo

I am on the same plan as you and on a iphone.

You need $1 to make it work!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
darrendo

Hi linkiepoo, thanks for the advice! Just a quick question, how do I recharge $1? XD

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
timnorris1

Hi,

I'm having the exact same problem and am with Boost Unlimited. Did you find a solution to this problem? The only thing I can come up with is that I will have to recharge on another type of prepaid plan with Boost so I can send an international text. And then go back to the Unlimited one. Thanks

Please use plain text.
Craig

Hey timnorris1, have you tried linkiepoo’s suggestion above? This should help it work.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
timnorris1

Hi Craig,

Thanks for the help. But how do I recharge just $1?

Thanks

Please use plain text.
ian_g_mclean

Hi guys

I had exactly the same problem with imessage and facetime not activating on my iphone 4 when i installed ios6. I'm on the $40 Boost plan with Optus. Whenever I turned on imessage or facetime in the settings, it said it was 'activating' but i would straight away recieve this text message from Optus...

"An SMS you tried to send or receive has failed as you are out of credit for that message type. Recharge now to allow future SMS messages to be sent or received."

Consequently neither would activate.

I managed to solve the problem first by speaking with Apple who said that the problem was that i needed to be able to send international texts, specifically to the UK, as when imessage or facetime tries to activate, a message is sent to the UK to do so. My $40 Boost plan didn't include international texts so I then called Optus (on 1300 328 587), explained to them that i needed to be able to send a couple of texts to the UK to activate imessage and facetime, and they managed to add a couple of international texts to my account for free.

As soon as i had international text credit, both imessage and facetime activated without any problems.

Hope that helps some of those who got as stuck as i did!

Please use plain text.